Too much mold is dangerous for humans, which most of us are already aware of. But when it comes to our furry friends, do they factor in? Can animals be sensitive to mold, or even allergic? The answer might surprise you…
Why does mold cause allergies?
Mold spores and active mold growth that releases particles into the air are both irritants. They can cause problems with skin (or fur) as well as respiratory issues when they are inhaled. These particles are not meant to be breathed in and don’t belong on your skin, either! Some molds also produce toxic substances as they grow, mycotoxins. The longer you are exposed to mold, the more likely it is that an allergic reaction will occur.
Why does mold cause allergies in pets?
Pets, just like humans, can be sensitive to mold. The more mold there is, the higher chance of an allergic reaction for your pal as well as for you. This risk also increases if the mold is a more toxic variety, one of the forms commonly referred to as “black mold.”
Sometimes dogs are also allergic to seasonal molds or outdoor molds that grow in plants and vegetation. Spring and fall, times of seasonal change, can be prime times for mold allergies. They are also commonly times that seasonal allergies of all kinds come into play, so make sure you monitor your pet for what their specific symptoms are.
What are the symptoms of mold allergies in pets?
Pets experience some of the same symptoms of allergies to mold as people, but they can also present in their own unique ways. This is especially true because they don’t have the same anatomy as we do, so watch for these signs:
- Extreme scratching and itching
- Recurring or severe ear infections
- Chewing of the paws
- Hair loss
- Skin redness or irritation
- “Hot spots”
- Head shaking/ear shaking
If you have concerns about your pet in regards to mold, or know that you have mold, contact the Flood Medix! Our team will be able to figure out exactly where the mold is coming from and deal with it promptly. Your furry friends will thank you!