As time passes, humans have become more particular about the spaces we occupy- the places where we work, live, go to school, and spend our free time. We continue to keep buildings and homes cleaner than we did in the past, which is understandable because more and more time is spent indoors. The strange side effect, though, is a growing percentage of people who are sensitive to indoor contaminants, mold included. At present, almost 20% of the population is predisposed to a mild form of mold sensitivity, with up to 3% of that number potentially developing a much more severe reaction.
Mold remediation- the process of removing the mold and repairing the damage it causes- has become a largely established part of the overall restoration business in the past several years. What makes mold repair different from the more common trifecta- smoke, water, and fire damage- is the medical aspect that often accompanies it for the reasons stated above. Some people cite the very fact that we are so often surrounded by only a clean environment as the reason for allergies and autoimmune disorders being on the rise, but in this article, we’ll be focusing on only one small part of the larger issue: what exactly mold sensitivity is. In our follow up, you can learn more about what mold remediation is, how it works, and what you should know if you find mold in your home.
What is mold sensitivity?
Mold sensitivity boils down to some very necessary processes taking an unnecessary action. Your immune system, primed to react to dangerous foreign invaders and eradicate them, has all kinds of inflammatory responses that help deal with the bacteria you encounter every day. When mold enters the picture, your immune system can overreact and develop allergy-causing antibodies to fight of the mold spores you breathe in. This reaction can be instant, or it can be delayed.
Some factors that may lead to a sensitivity are
- Having a family history of allergies
- Living in a house with high humidity
- Working or living in a building that’s been exposed to excess moisture
- Living in a house with poor ventilation
Are you experiencing mold sensitivity?
According to the Mayo clinic, symptoms of mold sensitivity and allergy include:
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Cough and postnasal drip
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat
- Watery eyes
- Dry, scaly skin
If you have asthma that is triggered by the mold, you may also experience:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
Unfortunately, a mishandled mold remediation can often be the trigger of these problems for someone who doesn’t know they have a mold sensitivity or allergy. In our next post, we’ll teach you more about what mold remediation requires and how you can stay safe. For now, if you have any mold issues in your home or just further questions, give the Flood Medix a call!