Contact Us

Flood Medix Web Form

Last fall a shocking news article was published that tells the story of how wrong a do-it-yourself project can go if it’s applied to the wrong situation. November 23, 2021, a Maryland homeowner discovered a snake infestation in their home and decided to solve the problem themselves by using smoke from burning coals to encourage the animals to leave.

It doesn’t sound so bad, does it? Burning something = smoke, and animals are instinctively driven to head away from smoke and fire to protect themselves. Unfortunately, the house ignited when the coals were brought too close to combustible materials, causing them to ignite in flames. Starting in the basement, flames spread through the entire house, shooting from the roof and second-story windows and eventually causing more than $1 in total damage.

There were no human injuries, but as of the time of publication, the status of the snakes is still undetermined!

You probably have no plans to use smoking coals to drive out snakes, but as we outlined in one of our previous blogs, the moral of the story is the same: DIY projects should not extend to things that can put your health and safety at risk. Mold remediation, smoke and fire damage, and water damage are all on that list! If you are experiencing any of these things, please contact the Flood Medix for further help and we will be happy to answer all your questions.