Call Us Today! (770)361-6180

info@floodmedix.com

Contact Us

We'll get back to you ASAP!

6 + 11 =

Mold is common almost everywhere, and that’s because, simply put, it grows… everywhere! Outside in nature, mold is naturally occurring and part of the life cycle of many plants and even animals, taking on the task of “eating” organic material by breaking it down into the soil to fuel new life once more.

Indoor mold

Indoor mold doesn’t serve that necessary purpose, but wherever there is moisture, there is an opportunity for it to begin growing. Mold spores (the ‘seed’ that begins mold growth) can get inside in many ways, such as:

  • Flood water
  • Windows
  • Open doorways
  • HVAC systems that have outdoor intakes
  • On clothing or shoes from outdoors
  • Shedding from outdoor pets

Mold is almost guaranteed to grow if the spores drop onto a spot with excessive moisture, commonly places where a leak has occurred, like roofs, pipes, basement or crawlspace flooding. Along with dampness, mold likes to grow in materials that contain cellulose, commonly used for building projects. Cellulose can be found in cardboard, ceiling tiles, and paper and wood products. These cellulose products actually end up encouraging the growth of mold when they get wet. This can also occur with drywall, carpet, upholstery, paint, and insulation.

DIY: yay or nay?

With all this potential for mold growth, doesn’t it make sense that you’ll have to end up dealing with on your own sooner or later? Ideally, the answer is a resounding no. Not only are DIY mold removal projects highly inefficient, they have the potential to make the overall situation worse! The tiny exceptions are cases where the very first signs of mold growth are caught and removed before it can spread further, but the chances of this are low since it is so difficult for an untrained set of eyes and hands to time mold removal just right. And even when mold is caught early on, household cleaning products (even bleach!) are not strong enough to eliminate mold spores- they only temporary slow down their growth, which isn’t the same thing, and won’t truly solve the problem.

Another reason DIY mold removal is usually ineffective is because the source of moisture that is feeding the mold itself needs to be addressed, and any attempt to get rid of the mold while the moisture remains will only slow the spread at best while allowing it to grow back over time.

The final and most important reason you should be avoiding a DIY mold removal is the health aspect of mold- long story short, mold can be very hazardous and even incite an allergic, inflammatory response in some individuals. You can check out our previous two posts on mold sensitivity and remediation for more information on mold sensitivity and mold allergies.

At the Flood Medix, our technicians are professionally trained to address mold at the source and eliminate it completely, while protecting both themselves and you from any potential side effects. Although it may seem like the cheaper and easier option, in the long run, DIY mold removal only leads to further headache- and in most cases, the mold isn’t even removed! So if you’re concerned about mold in your home or simply have further questions, please give us a call!